Thursday, September 6, 2012

Kdenlive with X.264 Support in Ubuntu 12.04

When installing kdenlive in Ubuntu 12.04, I was not able to export videos in H.264 and other formats out-of-the-box. Instead, I would get "output format not supported" errors when trying to render the videos, even though libx264 was installed.

I came across this multiple times already and was scratching my head every time, since enough time had passed since the last time I dealt with this. I could not easily remember what Ubuntu package was missing. Now it goes in my little knowledge base for next time, hehe.

The package needed is libavcodec-extra-53:
$ sudo apt-get install libavcodec-extra-53

2 comments:

  1. Works for me. Thank you. Went to Synaptic package installer and did this automatically, by searching for "libavcodec-extra-53" and marking for installation. It had to install a few other packages as well and delete a couple. I then deleted (renamed) the file home/.kde/share/config/kdenliverc.txt. (.kde is a hidden directory in home folder, so make hidden files visible under "view") This makes Kdenlive think it is the first time you have used it, and it runs the config wizard on start up. It found the libx264 which i had previously installed through the package installer (search "x264"). Hope this helps someone else.

    ReplyDelete